Should you decide to pursue a volunteer position with us, please complete the on-line application form, or call our office if you require further information at 519-600-4108. You will be contacted to discuss your interest in a volunteer position with Victim Services of Huron County.
Once we receive your application, the application process begins, starting with an interview, three reference checks, 40 hours of training, a police check and a children’s aid check. Given the nature of the service we provide, we ask that volunteers make a one year commitment to the program. Volunteers commit to shifts of 12 hours per week, and are on-call to be available to assist police and emergency services on scene or over the telephone to support clients. The shifts run 24/7 and volunteers pick their own shifts to accommodate their own schedule. When called out to support a client, you will always go with a volunteer partner, and have access to a shift coordinator who coordinates the call. Volunteers are also asked to commit to attend a monthly volunteer meeting. As a volunteer, you will also be provided with opportunities for ongoing training, social events and other volunteer positions as they become available.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your interest in Victim Services. We look forward to hearing from you!
Requirements & Qualifications
- 19 years of age or older.
- Willing to submit a Police Criminal Record Check and a Child and Family Services Check.
- Attend monthly volunteer meetings.
- Commit to a minimum of one year of volunteer activity.
- Be willing to sign up for 12 hours per week spread throughout the week.
- Cell phone required.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all issues surrounding calls for service to clients, information shared in volunteer training.
- Mature and responsible
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal effectively with crisis situations
- Suitability to provide sensitive, emotionally safe and effective service to clients on behalf of Victim Services.
- Complete minimum standards training and evaluation.
- Ability to work as part of a crisis team.’
- Must have access to a safe and reliable vehicle with minimum of 1 million liability insureance.