What is Victim Services Huron County?

Victim Services of Huron County is dedicated to providing short term emotional support, practical assistance and community referrals to victims and survivors of crime, trauma and tragic circumstance in partnership with community and emergency services.

What programs and services are offered to help victims of crime and tragedy?

We provide a variety of programs and services designed to help people cope with crime and tragic circumstance:

  • 24/7 Crisis Intervention at the request of Police, EMS or Fire.
  • Emotional Support
  • On-Scene Support
  • Advocacy
  • Referrals
  • Safety Planning
  • Victim Quick Response Program + (V.Q.R.P.+)
  • Community Presentations

Check out our Programs and Services tab under About Us for more information.

What can Victim Services do for me?

Victim Services can provide immediate emotional support and help connect you with appropriate local resources and referrals to help you with long-term coping.

How can I submit a referral?

There are many ways you can submit a referral, whether it is for yourself or for someone else. You can call us: 519 – 600 – 4108 , email : info@victimserviceshuron.ca or fax: 519 – 600 – 4150.

How do I become a volunteer for VSHC?

Volunteers are a critical part of Victim Services. They help victims and their families heal during the immediate crisis. They also develop valuable skills in areas such as crisis intervention, fundraising and more.

  • You need to be at least 18 years old to be a volunteer.
  • You must have a valid driver’s licence, access to a vehicle, proof of insurance, access to the internet and a clean CPIC.
  • Must participate in a 40 hours of mandatory online training once you are chosen to be a volunteer, and continue to participate in monthly trainings and skill building activities.
  • Committed to being a Crisis Response Volunteer for a minimum of 1 year.
  • Must be available to be “on-call” for a minimum of 36 hours a month. If you are “on-call”, this means that you are available during the time you signed up for on your shift. You do not have to sit in an office and wait for a call, nor will you always get a call during that time as we are an ‘as needed’ service, but you do need to be accessible by phone and be able to leave immediately to respond to a crisis.

Check out our Volunteer Application Tab under Get Involved to see the full application.

Does Victim Services work for the Police?

Although we are located in the OPP detachment in Clinton, we do not work for the police, as we are a not-for-profit organization. We have a partnership with our local police department; however, we are an independent agency.

What is the difference between Victim Services and the Victim/Witness Assistance Program?

If you are a victim or witness of a violent crime, it is likely that you will need to go to court. This can be a difficult and confusing experience. You may have a lot of questions about the criminal court system, and what will be expected of you. The Victim/Witness Assistance Program will talk to you and provide assistance based on your specific case and needs. Their services begin once police have laid charges and will continue until the court case is over. You can reach the Goderich Victim/Witness Assistance Program at 519-524-4085.